When it comes to kitchen worktops, granite, quartzite, and marble are often the most conventional choices. However, many interior designers are urging homeowners to consider installing porcelain worktops. These offer a host of advantages over natural stone, both in terms of aesthetics and functionality. The biggest misconception associated with porcelain is that it is perceived as a fragile material. On the contrary, kitchen worktops constructed with porcelain are highly durable, resistant, and easy to maintain. The charming elegance and customizability add to the allure of this fascinating material.
Advantages of Porcelain Worktops
Homeowners have several considerations when planning a new kitchen or refurbishing an existing one. Besides the walls, flooring, cupboards, and fixtures, the type of worktops to be installed depends on many factors. These include visual appeal, sturdiness, ease of cleaning, resistance to food/liquid spills, heat resistance, hygiene, cost-effectiveness, and so on. Kitchen marble worktops are highly attractive but are often expensive and difficult to maintain. Granite is highly durable and easy to maintain but doesn’t blend well with many décor themes.
Quartzite offers the best of both worlds but remains unaffordable for those who are on a tight budget. Porcelain is, therefore, a practical and economical choice that blends seamlessly with a multitude of décor themes. Here are five reasons why homeowners should consider installing porcelain worktops:-
1. Stunning Aesthetic Versatility– No other worktop comes close to the stunning aesthetic range of porcelain. The sheer variety of styles, colours, features, and finishes available is simply awe-inspiring. On the one hand, there are porcelain tiles that mimic the regal grandeur of marble. On the other hand, there are customized porcelain countertops that resemble the understated elegance of wood. Lush white porcelain blends extremely well with monochrome decor themes. For eccentric tastes, this countertop material can be engineered to a rusty finish, a multi-hued appearance, and a concrete-like finish.
2. Excellent Resistance to Heat and Stains– The biggest priority while choosing a kitchen worktop material is that it needs to be resistant to high temperatures and exposure to food and liquids. Porcelain countertops will not crack or chip if very hot utensils are directly kept atop. Similarly, all kinds of food and beverage spills can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
3. Low Maintenance and Cost-Effectiveness– Kitchen marble worktops are undoubtedly highly attractive. But their maintenance hassles deter many homeowners from investing in them. On the other hand, porcelain requires very basic cleaning and extremely low maintenance. It is far more affordable as compared to marble and quartzite while lasting far longer owing to its high resilience. Homeowners who cannot afford to replace their worktops every few years should opt for long-lasting porcelain surfaces with exceptional endurance.
4. Sturdiness and Longevity– Porcelain used for kitchenware is somewhat fragile. But for countertops and splashbacks, the porcelain tiles are subjected to extensive treatment to make them extremely sturdy. The hardness quotient of porcelain is higher than that of quartzite and at par with granite.
5. Low Porosity and Hygiene– Homeowners are often concerned about the impeccable hygiene of their kitchen countertops. A material that is highly porous or tends to scratch easily will easily soak in and harbour bacteria in its crevices. This will gradually lead to a foul odour and a highly unhygienic and unsafe work surface. Porcelain’s porosity is extremely low. Therefore, it ranks high on cleanliness and is among the safest worktops for high-traffic kitchens and bathrooms.
Not just for kitchen worktops, porcelain is becoming an increasingly popular and practical choice for bathroom countertops, splashbacks, wash basins, patios, water fountains, and pool areas. Porcelain surfaces adorn luxurious homes, commercial spaces, restaurants, and spas with great flair. It makes for an excellent worktop/countertop choice with fuss-free maintenance and no replacement concerns in the long run.