Walls Decorative paintings on walls of houses, types, and examples. How to apply the effects and how to choose the style according to decoration. super guide!
Decorative painting on walls
Currently, the discovery of new synthetic paints allows the decoration of all types of surfaces, so the application has no limits and everything depends on the creativity of each person.
So we are going to try to break down the effects of painting on walls for decoration;
Remember that we have already prepared an article on how to paint walls with several tips and tricks to achieve a perfect finish on painting with effects. Now it’s time to see some examples of decorative paintings!
Types of wall paints
=Here we will deal with the most common ones used in the home to obtain suitable decorative finishes since in the industry there are countless varieties of paint, each one adapted to a particular production process.
1.- Plastic paint or Latex
Ideal for all types of Wall Murals and ceilings (plaster, plasterboard, plaster, cement, stone, temper.
- Acrylic plastic paint. It is the most resistant type of paint for both interior and exterior and has a greater waterproofing capacity when painting the walls (They resist mold and the effect of the Sun.
- Vinyl plastic paint. They offer greater versatility. Among its advantages, we can highlight the ease of application, high flexibility, or a vague smell.
2.- Synthetic enamel paint
They are very strong paints, made up of solvent-based synthetic resins, and can have a matte, satin, or gloss finish. They are highly decorative and protective, generally used to paint wood and metals.
3.- Acrylic enamel paint
As its name indicates, its base is acrylic resins, as well as catalysts and pigments.
They adhere to most supports like synthetic enamels, with the advantage that they do not smell, they dissolve with water and they are more ecological.
It has waterproof properties, resistant to abrasion, and lasts for several years.
5.- Mineral or silicate paint
They are based on liquid potassium silicate, minerals of natural origin, and inorganic coloring pigments. The most important quality of these paints is that they adhere to the support through an insoluble chemical reaction called silicification or petrification, and do not form a surface film.
It is highly breathable or permeable to water vapor, ideal for use on walls with moisture problems to practice decorative effects on the walls.
We must remember that in the article on augmented reality applications for decoration we saw some interesting apps that can help us a lot with good ideas and simplify some jobs such as measuring the walls.
Lime has elastic properties, which prevent cracks due to contraction and expansion. It is also waterproof and fungicidal.
types of stucco
- Lime -based stucco, is highly breathable and has a discontinuous colored surface with a smooth, patinated appearance. It is suitable for indoor and outdoor decoration.
- Venetian stucco, which is the modern version, uses acrylic copolymers as a base. With an imitation marble finish or the famous marble effect paint, it is more attractive than the previous one. It only applies indoors.
Stucco offers a wide field of application in interior design and its useful life is very long. If you use quality stucco and it does not receive direct sunlight, it maintains its brightness and color for more than 10 years or more.
How to apply Venetian stucco
A step-by-step guide to applying Venetian stucco
- Preparation: Cover all holes and cracks with plastic putty. If the wall is uneven or has any defect, fix it before applying the stucco. Sand superficially and clean the entire wall.
- Primer: Give one or more (depending on the state of the wall) coats of well-diluted white plastic paint.
- Base: With a large stainless steel trowel (better with rounded tips) apply the first layer of stucco as thick as possible. Once dry we sand the fattest details. If the color of the stucco is even, we go to the next step.
- Waters: This is the most important step, I recommend using 12 cm stainless steel bodybuilder tape. You have to be clear about how you will give the water and do it uniformly throughout the wall, without losing the reference of where you spatulate and where not.
With a very small amount of stucco on the spatula we apply it to the wall in all possible directions, left, right, up, down, and diagonally. Although you don’t see it at the moment, when we shine the stucco, each one of the spatulas becomes visible. Therefore keep the same pattern.
The more layers you give, the better it will be. With practice you will be able to make different drawings on the stucco, highlighting the peculiarities of this pleasant material.
Venetian stucco color chart
The shades and colors of stucco with a Venetian finish can vary a lot, so it is best to show a catalog to get an idea:
Obviously, the prices of a Venetian stucco vary mainly depending on its quality. If we decide to stucco the walls of our house, we must ensure that it is of good quality, which will ensure a bright and durable finish.
Beware of cheap stuccoes, we can be excellent stuccoers, but if the stucco does not shine enough or its application is difficult, the result will not be satisfactory. So take note!…
It must be remembered that to apply Florentine lands on a wall, they are based on high-quality resins. It has a composition based on special white particles, which contrast with the background color, which is given with a special brand tint.
How to paint Florentine lands
It has a smooth texture, but with small reliefs. When applying Florentine lands on a surface, we recommend using an opaque base or background first, for an optimal finish.