The job of a commercial pilot has its perks. You get plenty of job opportunities and the chance to travel locally and around the world. However, you may have several questions about the CPL course in Australia, its duration, required qualifications, and so on. Here in this article, you will learn about that information.
The list of job opportunities as a commercial pilot:
- Corporate/Business Aviation Pilot
- Airline Pilot
- Medical/Air Ambulance Pilot
- Crop Duster/Agricultural Pilot
- Cargo Pilot
- Air Taxi/Charter Pilot
- Aircraft flight training instructor
- Aerial surveyor
The responsibility of a CPL
A Commercial Pilot has to attain specific duties, such as:
- Getting the aircraft ready for a flight
- Checking the weight of the aircraft
- Making sure that safe loading has been done for all the cargo
- Keep proper coordination with Air Traffic Control
- Keeping a check on the fuel tanks
- Keeping a keen eye on the weather conditions
- Keep the passengers in the loop about flight-related
- Confirming the safety and security during take-off and landing
Let us look at the guidelines on all the requirements to become a Commercial Pilot in conformity with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) of the Government of Australia.
What does a Commercial Pilot do?
A Commercial Pilot License permits you to fly an aircraft for commercial and private uses. In addition, it enables you to procure various other aviation licences, like Air Transport Pilot License (ATPL), for Overseas Operations or Military Flight Crew.
You must apply for the licence of at least one of these aircraft categories: helicopter pilot training, gyroplane, airship, powered-lift aircraft, and aeroplane before getting the CPL.
Requirements for obtaining a Commercial Pilot License
You have to fulfil the basic requirements to obtain the CPL.
- You have to be a minimum of 18 years old
- Having a certain level of efficacy in the English language is a must
- You must hold a Private Pilot License (PPL) like a helicopter pilot training licence.
- You must qualify for a specific medical exam certifying your ability to fly an aircraft.
Steps to follow if you want to apply for a CPL
- Going for a Commercial Pilot License course is vital. You will gain theoretical knowledge and the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in flying an aircraft with licensed aircraft flight training personnel.
- Need to pass an English proficiency test like International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Qualify for the CPL theory exam
- Achieve the required experience level for your selected class, category, and type rating
- You must pass the CPL flight examination as stated by the standards manual.
Before going to a pilot training school, you must go through all the information required and get an idea of the cost of the CPL course in Australia. There are hundreds of pilot training schools in Australia. You have to enquire about the CPL courses offered and do the necessary background checks before selecting the school. You can also opt for getting a pilot training board. In that case, your licence has to be converted to the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority later.